Garages are an important part of a residential or commercial property. The space is useful for several purposes. Hence making sure you install a functioning garage door contributes to the garage’s utility. The average cost of garage door installation varies. The elements that determine the cost are:
- Material used
- Garage Type
The average cost of installing a garage door in Canada is $1600. It can be lower or much higher, up to $2500, and this all depends on the factors mentioned above and perhaps more. A professional is in the best position to help you determine the cost. A local garage door company like Active Garage door humilton can visit you for free. They would inspect the garage size, offer professional advice, and give you a quote.
Determining the cost of your garage installation
The cost of installing a garage door depends on your choice. Customized garage doors are usually expensive. But if you want a regular door, be ready to spend nothing above $2300, including labor. Here’s a breakdown of the costs you should expect:
- The material used
The garage door material is the biggest determining element of the price. Some materials are much cheaper than others, and each has its advantages and disadvantages. For example, exposure to the elements can weaken and destroy aluminum over time. But it is among the affordable materials for garage doors. Below, we give an estimated price of garage doors made from different materials:
- Wood – Wooden doors are great side hinge garage doors. Many love them because they are easy to maintain, though they require regular maintenance to look new and beautiful for a long time. For a wooden garage door, you should budget at least $1500.
- Steel – Steel is common because they are strong and long-lasting. But they can rust from constant exposure to rain. Expect to spend about $1900 for a steel garage door.
- Aluminum – Aluminium doors can be quite cheap or more expensive than steel, depending on the style. Many prefer it because it does not rust. Although, prolonged exposure to harsh weather can destroy it over time. Aluminum garage doors range from $800 – $2400.
- Fiberglass – Fiberglass is some people’s choice because it is easy to maintain. Although, harsh weather can cause it to crack. Fiberglass doors costs between $1200 – $2100.
- The garage door type
Garage doors are of different types, depending on how it opens, and the prices differ accordingly. Below are the types and the average price to expect:
Side hinge door – This type opens outward like a traditional door and is mostly common with wooden garage doors. Expect up to $1300 for a side-hinge door.
Roller garage door – A roller door opens upwards and wraps around itself. They are quite common in modern garages and cost at least $1000. However, expect to spend more on installation.
Sectional doors – Similar to the roller door, sectional doors open upwards. But in contrast, they roll up to the tracks installed beneath the roof, not coiling into itself. They are the most common and cost at least $1000, not including installation fees.
- Physical appearance and other accessories
The door’s design also affects the price; any customizing will add to the cost. Small customizations may not cost so much, but expect to pay much higher for major custom solutions. You should budget an additional $80 – $100 for a remote if you prefer automatic doors.
Other factors may influence the cost, such as location, adjusting the opening, or renovating the garage. When speaking to a professional, it is always better to request a detailed quote.